Composting and Why You Should Care

When I first read about compcompostosting, I was skeptical to say the least. The idea of rotting trash sitting in a compost bin in my yard and then on top of my garden was nothing less than repulsive to me. However, with a little talking into I was convinced that compost bins and using compost as fertilizer was the smartest way to go about gardening, and here’s why:

1. Compost is a natural fertilizer. It helps to loosen clay soils, helps sandy soils to retain water, and it is natural/organic  so it contains no petroleum-based compounds like most commercial fertilizers do. Also, since compost is whatever trash you throw into the bin, you know exactly what kind of nutrients your plants and vegetables  are getting.

2. Compost not only cleans the environment but also the soil. Composting cleans the environment simply by making people produce less waste, when you find a way to reuse your garbage less goes to landfills. Also, composting has recently been found to “absorb odors and treat semibolatile and volatile organic compounds (VOCS), including heating fuels, polyaromatic hydrocarbons, and explosives in soil” according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (May 13, 2013).

3. Composting is easy! Even if you aren’t a gardener but want to start living more sustainably most cities (even Las Cruces, New Mexico) have a green composting bin, where the civilian can put their compost into the bin for other people to use as fertilizer for their gardens for free.

Below is a list of items I have found to work great in composting:

eggshells

vegetables

fruit

coffee grounds and filters/tea bags

nutshells

brown paper bags

paper towels

newspaper

grass clippings and other yard trimmings

Don’t forget to recycle your food!