Recruitment of Graduate Students from Spanish Speaking Countries
- Authored a graduate brochure (in Spanish) for distribution to universities in Spanish speaking countries; Dr. Ricardo Aguilar Melantzon(Languages and Linguistics Department, NMSU) was a consultant for the brochure; Date: during Spring 2000 semester
- Met with professors and students from the University of Chihauhau (Civil Engineering Department) interested in the structures graduate program; provided a walking tour of the NMSU Civil and Geological Engineering Department (computer and lab facilities) and the I-25 steel bridge over University Avenue; organized and moderated a brief symposium (Room 109, EC II) where current research projects conducted in the NMSU Civil and Geological Engineering Department were presented; Date: during Spring 2000 semester
The New Mexico Alliance for Minority Participation and The Waste-management Education & Research Consortium (Statewide Undergraduate Student Research Conference)
- Organized a panel and moderated a graduate school workshop for high school and college students interested in pursuing graduate education; Dates:� September 18th (1999), September 15th (2001), and September 13th (2002); served as a consultant for the 2000 conference
The New Mexico Alliance for Minority Participation (2003 Statewide Undergraduate Student Research Conference)
- Recognized for Third Annual University Research Council (URC) Early Career Award; invited speaker during luncheon and research presenter during poster presentations; Date:� September 26th, 2003
PhD Qualifying Exam Coordinator
- Coordinate the PhD qualifying examination for structural engineering students
Invited Speaker for SMET 101 (Introduction to Science / Math / Engineering / Technology)
- Gave presentation on I-40 Bridge Study and CE 315 Balsa Wood Projects (invited by Dr. Ricardo Jacquez); Date:� December 2nd, 2003
Invited Speaker for SUR 285 (Introduction to Photogrammetry)
- Gave presentation on photogrammetric measurement of bridge deformations (invited by Dr. Steve Frank);� Date:� April 15th, 2003
Invited Speaker at Mayfield High School
- Talked to 9th grade students about the Civil Engineering profession as part of Engineering Day; Date: January 21st, 2004
Invited Speaker at Austin High School
- Talked to 9th grade students about the Civil Engineering profession as part of Engineering Day; Date:� November 24th, 2004
Invited Speaker at the Dr. Hornedo Middle School
- Talked to 8th grade students about the Civil Engineering profession; Date:� March 28th, 2002
Invited Speaker at 2000 Cobre High School Graduation
- Delivered the commencement speech at the 2000 Cobre High School Graduation Ceremony; Date:� May 20th, 2000
Grievances and Appeals Panel
- Nature of Involvement: Member
- Dates of Service: Fall 1999, Spring 2001
- Duties: Acted as panel member in settling a dispute between a professor and student regarding a grade.
Graduate Research & Arts Symposium
- Nature of Involvement: Invited Judge
- Date and Location of Service: April 28, 2000 at Corbett Center
- Duties: Served as judge to three graduate student oral presentations.
- Provided tour of NMSU Civil and Geological Engineering Department to middle school to high school students as part of the Promotion and Awareness of Careers in Engineering and Science (PACE) program; Date:� June 5th, 2001.
- Provided tour of NMSU Civil and Geological Engineering Department to 7th to 9th graders from Las Cruces area; Date: July 9th, 2001.
- Provided tour of NMSU Civil and Geological Engineering Department to the winner of the West Point Bridge Design Contest (from EldoradoHigh School) administered by Wil Dooley (FHWA Bridge Engineer, New Mexico Section); Date: April 4th, 2003.
- Presented current research (photogrammetry, QTVR, and Quick-Fill) to the Engineering 101 class in the NMSU-CAGE Structures Laboratory during the Fall Semester 2000.
- Presented current research (photogrammetry, QTVR, and Quick-Fill) to high school seniors from New Mexico as part of the NMSU Spring Visitor’s Day in the NMSU-CAGE Department during the Spring Semester 2001.
- Participant in the Las Cruces High School (LCHS) Career Explorations Luncheon administered by the LCHS Success Academy (Chad Berryman, Teacher); Date: October 8th, 2002
- Reviewed a proposal for a pedal-powered invention prepared by Deming High School students as part of the MESA (Mathematics, Engineering, Science Achievement) Program at the University of Arizona (Tucson, Arizona); Date: Fall 2002.
DOE Quick-Fill Symposium
- Nature of Involvement: Symposium Organizer
- Attendees: Dr. Khaled Sobhan (NMSU), Arun Vohra (DOE), Quintin Wilson (El Rito Community College), Dr. John Straube (University of Waterloo), Treasure Lake Job Corps (3 Instructors and 4 Students), NMSU (1 Student)
- Duties: Organized a symposium in the Summer 2000 bringing together experts of the sustainable building industry to develop the construction techniques of a Quick-Fill Wall System patented by the DOE.
Bridge Diagnostics, Inc. (BDI) Training Workshop I
- Nature of Involvement: Participant and Organizer
- Attendees: Jim Pate (NMSU), Jeff Schultz (BDI), Brett Commander (BDI), Kenneth Leitch (NMSU), Anita Carrasco (NMSU), Jason Stauffer (NMSU), Mark Fountain (NMSU)
- Course Dates: June 12th – 14th (BDI field testing training; Jeff Schultz) and June 25th – 27th (BDI bridge analysis software training; Brett Commander)
Bridge Diagnostics, Inc. (BDI) Training Workshop II
- Nature of Involvement: Instructor
- Attendees: Eric Villegas, Ben Najera, Brad Weldon, Anita Carrasco, Dr. Clinton Woodward, Dr. Ken White, Dr. Paul Barr
- Course Dates: during months of August and September 2001