Information for Prospective Graduate Students

I’m currently considering applications from prospective students who wish to be admitted to our Ph.D. program in Social Psychology for the Fall 2015 academic term.

Students who wish to join our Ph.D. program apply must first apply to the Masters Program.  Students in the Ph.D. program first complete a Masters Degree, which serves as a “qualifying exam.”  After successfully completing the Masters Degree, students are now officially referred to as Ph.D. Students.  Ph.D. students then complete a comprehensive exam over four broad research areas (determined in discussion with the members of your graduate committee).  After completion of the comprehensive exam, you are officially a “PhD candidate” and begin working on your final project, your dissertation.

Although our graduate Ph.D program requires a minimum combined verbal and quantitative GRE scores of 310, I encourage serious applicants with combined GREs above 320 to submit your application by January 15th (at the latest) in order to assure adequate time for your application to be processed.

I am particularly interested in applications from qualified students with research interests in emotion, evolutionary psychology, and philosophy of science, or any area of research that falls within a social cognitive-science framework.

I am happy to answer any questions that you may have regarding my current and future research as well any questions concerning our graduate program.

Please don’t hesitate to  send me an email (ketelaar@nmsu.edu).

I would look forward to hearing from you.