About Me

I am a Cognitive Psychologist with a primary interest in studying Human Memory. I have been in the Department of Psychology at NMSU since January 2001. My research productivity has taken a hit in recent years because of life circumstances, but I am working hard to change that trajectory. I welcome opportunities to collaborate on topics of mutual interest both within and beyond NMSU, and with fellow faculty and graduate and undergraduate students.

I have lived in New Mexico for half my life now! I was born and grew up in Aiken, SC. I went to a small Catholic high school that had only 100 students and is now closed. After that, I was lucky to work with and receive fantastic training from three esteemed research psychologists.

I worked with Gil Einstein as an undergraduate at Furman University in Greenville, SC, Roddy Roediger as a master’s student at Rice University in Houston, TX, and Mark McDaniel as a doctoral student at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque.

After 6 years in Albuquerque, New Mexico felt like home, and I was delighted to be offered a job at New Mexico State University and to stay in the state. What I love most about living and working here are the sunny skies, the low humidity, the genuine and friendly people, and the green chile. This is also where I adopted all four of my fur children (two of whom have since, sadly, crossed the Rainbow Bridge.)