1. NSF CAREER: “Understanding the exceptional near-field auditory system of the aye-aye, one of the most unusual primates in the world”, [PI, total $579k, share $579k], tentatively from Aug. 2021-Aug. 2026.
2. Department of Energy (DOE): One major initiative that Dr. Niri is leading as a PI, is the Department of Energy/National Nuclear Security Administration (DOE/NNSA) Workforce Development Consortium “enabling In- and Ex-Situ-Quality Control of Additive Manufacturing (QCAM)”. This first-of-a-kind 3-year consortium was selected for $3M award under the MSI Partnership Program and integrates a Hispanic Serving Institution – NMSU, Native American Institution – Navajo Technical University, and a Historically Black Colleges and Universities member – Prairie View A&M University. In addition to the three academic partners, three DOE-NNSA industry/labs: 1. Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL), 2. Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ONRL), and 3. Kansas City National Security Campus (KCNSC) will be partners in this consortium. This consortium will include outreach, education, and research activities in AM and NDT related to Intelligent Manufacturing, [PI, total $3M, share $1,199,000], July 2021-July 2024.
3. Department of Defense (DOD): “Acquisition of Computed Tomography (CT) Scanner for STEM Education and Research Programs in New Mexico”, [PI, total $469k, share $305k], tentatively from July 2021-July 2022.
4. Department of Energy (DOE): Lizard-Inspired Tube Inspector (LTI) Robot, [PI, total $400k, share $205k], 09/01/2018-31/08/2021.
5. New Mexico Department of Transportation (NMDOT): Development of technical guidance for the assessment of oversize and overweight vehicle permit fees in New Mexico (Phase II), [Co-PI, total $156k, share $86k], 01/01/2020-01/01/2022.
6. American Society of Nondestructive Testing (ASNT): Developing bio-inspired tap-testing for inspection of wooden structures, [PI Faculty advisor, $20k], The ASNT Fellowship Award, 07/01/2021-07/01/2022.
7. NASA: Next Generation Additive Manufacturing for Space Applications, [Co-PI, Total $750k, share $175k], Jan. 2021-Jan. 2024.
1. FormAlloy NASA STTR: Data-driven modeling of Directed Energy Deposition for Defect-Free Builds using Real-Time Monitoring Approaches, [PI, total $125k, share $69,873], Sept. 1st 2020-Sept. 1st 2021.
2. Relativity Space company: Real-time testing and monitoring of AM process with bulk ultrasound and Lamb waves using EMAT. [PI, $23,5k], 08/2019-08/20.
3. Transportation Technology Center, Inc. (TTCI): Nonlinear Ultrasound Surface Wave based Method for In-Motion Diagnosis of Compressive Load and Partially Closed RCF in Railhead. [PI, $10k], 10/2019-01/2020.
4. NASA: Development of a Versatile Optical Technique for Far Range Strain Measurement [PI, $25k], 09/01/2017-05/15/2018.
5. NMDOT: Assessment of New Mexico’s Fee Structure for Overweight and Oversize Vehicles Compared to Practices in Other Western States, [PI, $25k], 01/15/2018-10/15/2018.
6. American Society of Nondestructive Testing (ASNT): Evaluation of Rolling Contact Fatigue (RCF) cracks on railheads using nonlinear ultrasound in phase-space domain, [PI Faculty advisor, $20k], The ASNT Fellowship Award, 07/01/2020-07/01/2021.
Notification of Award