- Ph.D. Aerospace Engineering, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA, 1998
- M.E. Aerospace Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, 1991
- B.Tech. Aerospace Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, India, 1989
- Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, New Mexico State University, 2010-present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, New Mexico State University, 2001-2010 (with tenure, 2007-2010)
- Visiting Researcher, Aerodynamisches Institut, RWTH, Aachen, Germany, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2015
- Postdoctoral Scholar, Control and Dynamical Systems, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, USA, 1998-2000
- Graduate Assistant, Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA, 1993-1998
- Research Scientist, Experimental Aerodynamics Division, National Aerospace Laboratories, Bangalore, India, 1991-1993
- Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellowship, Germany, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2015.
- Fields Research Fellowship, Fields Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Toronto, Canada, 2018.
- Reconstruction phases in the planar three- and four-vortex problems, A. Hernández-Garduño and B. N. Shashikanth, Nonlinearity, Vol. 31, pp. 783–814, 2018.
- Kirchhoff’s equations of motion via a constrained Zakharov system, B. N. Shashikanth, Journal of Geometric Mechanics, vol. 8(4), pp.461–485, 2016
- Non-invasive determination of external forces in vortex-pair-cylinder interactions, D. Hartmann, W. Schroeder, and B. N. Shashikanth, Physics of Fluids , vol. 24, 061903, 27 pages, 2012
- Vortex dynamics in R^4, B. N. Shashikanth, Journal of Mathematical Physics,vol. 53(1), 013103, 21 pages, 2012(pdf) (Copyright (2012) American Institute of Physics. This article may be downloaded for personal use only. Any other use requires prior permission of the author and the American Institute of Physics. The article may be found at http://link.aip.org/link/?jmp/53/013103.)
- Dissipative N-point-vortex Models in the Plane, B. N. Shashikanth, Journal of Nonlinear Science,vol. 20, pp.81–103, 2010(pdf)
- Hamiltonian Structure and Dynamics of a Neutrally Buoyant Rigid Sphere Interacting with Thin Vortex Rings, B. N. Shashikanth, A. Sheshmani, S. D. Kelly and M. J. Wei, Journal of Mathematical Fluid Mechanics, vol. 12(3), pp. 335–353, 2010
- Hamiltonian structure for a neutrally buoyant rigid body interacting with N vortex rings of arbitrary shape: the case of arbitrary smooth body shape, B. N. Shashikanth, A. Sheshmani, S. D. Kelly and J. E. Marsden, Theoretical and Computational Fluid Dynamics, vol. 22, pp.37–64, 2008. (pdf)
- Optimal approach to and alignment with a rotating rigid body for capture, Z. Ma, O. Ma and B. N. Shashikanth, Journal of the Astronautical Sciences, vol. 55(4), pp. 407–419, 2007.
- Symmetry reduction and control of the dynamics of a 2-D rigid circular cylinder and a point vortex: vortex capture and scattering, B. N. Shashikanth, European Journal of Control, vol. 13(6), pp. 641–657, 2007(pdf)
- Vortex interaction with a moving sphere, J. J. Allen, Y. Jouanne and B. N. Shashikanth, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 587, pp. 337-346, 2007. (pdf)
- Symmetric pairs of point vortices interacting with a neutrally buoyant two-dimensional circular cylinder, B. N. Shashikanth, Physics of Fluids, vol.18, 127103, 17 pages, 2006. (pdf)
- Poisson brackets for the dynamically interacting system of a 2D rigid cylinder and N point vortices: The case of arbitrary smooth cylinder shapes, B. N. Shashikanth, Regular and Chaotic Dynamics, vol.10(1), pp. 1–14, 2005. (pdf)
- Leap-frogging vortex rings: Hamiltonian structure, geometric phases and discrete reduction, B. N. Shashikanth and J. E. Marsden, Fluid Dynamics Research, vol.33(4), pp.333–356, 2003. (pdf)
- The Hamiltonian structure of a 2D rigid circular cylinder interacting dynamically with N point vortices, B. N. Shashikanth, J. E. Marsden, J. W. Burdick and S. D. Kelly,Physics of Fluids, vol.14(3), pp.1214–1227, 2002. (pdf) (Erratum: Physics of Fluids, vol.14(11), p.4099, 2002. (pdf))
- Geometric phases for corotating elliptical vortex patches, B. N. Shashikanth and P. K. Newton, Journal of Mathematical Physics, vol.41(12), pp.8148–8162, 2000. (pdf)
- Vortex Motion and the Geometric Phase, Part II: Slowly Varying Spiral Structures, B. N. Shashikanth and P. K. Newton, Journal of Nonlinear Science, vol.9(2), pp.233–254, 1999. (pdf)
- Vortex Motion and the Geometric Phase, Part I: Basic Configurations and Asymptotics, B. N. Shashikanth and P. K. Newton, Journal of Nonlinear Science, vol.8(2), pp.183–214, 1998. (pdf)
Publications in Conference Proceedings:
- On the interaction of a vortex pair with a freely moving cylinder, D. Hartmann, L. Schneiders, W. Schroeder and B. N. Shashikanth, AIAA 2010-4749, 40th Fluid Dynamics Conference and Exhibit, Chicago, Illinois, 28 June – 1 July, 2010
- Optimal Control for Spacecraft to Rendezvous with a Tumbling Satellite in a Close Range, Z. Ma, O. Ma and B. N. Shashikanth, Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Beijing, China, October 9-15, 2006.
- Dynamics and control of the system of a 2-D rigid circular cylinder and point vortices, Z. Ma and B. N. Shashikanth, Proceedings of the 2006 American Control Conference, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, June14-16, 2006. (pdf)
- An Investigation of van der Waals Forces in the assembly of Micro Devices, D. Vasquez, J. Cecil and B. Shashikanth, Proceedings of the Industrial Engineering Research Conference, Atlanta, May 14-18, 2005.
- The Hamiltonian structure of a 2D rigid circular cylinder interacting dynamically with N point vortices, B. N. Shashikanth, J. E. Marsden, J. W. Burdick and S. D. Kelly, Proceedings of the Fourteenth International Symposium of Mathematical Theory of Networks and Systems, Perpignan, France, June 19–23, 2000.
Conference Presentations and Invited Talks:
- The IV AMMCS International Conference, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, August 20-25, 2017
- Seminar, Department of Mathematics, University of Toronto, March, 2015
- 17th U.S. National Congress on Theoretical and Applied Mechanics
Michigan State University, 15-20 June 2014
- Focus Program on Geometry, Mechanics and Dynamics: the Legacy of Jerry Marsden, The Fields Institute, Toronto, Canada, July,2012
- Center for Fluid Dynamics, Technical University of Denmark (DTU), Lyngby, Denmark, May 6, 2008
- Fluid Dynamics Seminar Series, Department of Mathematical Sciences, Center for Applied Mathematics and Statistics, and Department of Mechanical Engineering, New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, March 3, 2008
- Interdisciplinary Transport Phenomena V, Bansko, Bulgaria, October 14-19, 2007
- Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Instituto de Investigaciones en Matematicas Aplicadas y en Sistemas, Mexico city, Mexico, May 17, 2007.
- IUTAM Symposium on Hamiltonian Dynamics, Vortex Structures and Turbulence, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia, August 25–30, 2006.
- 77th Annual Meeting of the Gesellschaft fur Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik (GAMM), Technische Universitat, Berlin, Germany, March 27-31, 2006.
- Workshop on Dynamical Systems Methods in Fluid Dynamics (organizers: Jerrold E. Marsden and Jurgen Scheurle), Mathematisches Forschunginstitut Oberwolfach, Oberwolfach, Germany, July31-Aug5, 2005
- AIMS’ Fifth International Conference on Dynamical Systems and Differential Equations, Cal State Polytechnic, Pomona, California, USA, June 16-19, 2004
- Colloquium, Department of Mathematics, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, USA, Oct. 31, 2003
- SIAM Conference on Applications of Dynamical Systems, Snowbird, Utah, USA, May 27-31, 2003
- Annual Spring Meeting of the American Geophysical Union, Washington DC, USA, May 28–31, 2002
- Annual General Assembly of the European Geophysical Society, Nice, France, March 26-30, 2001